Click to visit Corporate Executive Women International Click for a Membership Flyer
Executive Women International (EWI) was established in 1938 in San Francisco, California by Lucille Johnson Perkins. Ms. Perkins recognized the importance and potential of an association bringing key women together to promote their firms and improve their community. On April 29th of that year, Articles of Incorporation were filed with the State of California under the name of “Executive Secretaries, Inc.”
The organization achieved its “international” status when the first Canadian Chapter was chartered in Calgary, Alberta in 1964. Since then, additional cities throughout the United States and Canada have joined, forming a prestigious and exclusive networking organization of key firms and individuals.
During the 30th Annual Meeting of the corporation (May 1977), the organization’s name was changed to “Executive Women International. This change reflects the international expansion of the organization and recognizes the changing roles of women in business and the diverse careers held by our representatives.
More than 1600 companies and 2100 representatives are members of EWI today in nearly 57 Chapters located in major cities in the United States and Canada. EWI is the premier organization for networking and leadership development for today’s business professionals and their firms.
EWI of Milwaukee
EWI of Milwaukee was chartered October 19, 1965 with 30 member firms. Loraine Schuffler served as the chapter’s first president in 1966 and 1967. Original charter firm, WISN-TV, is still an active supporter of the chapter to this day.
EWI of Milwaukee hosted a regional conference in 2015 and proudly sponsors yearly scholarship and literacy programs:
- The EWI Scholarship Program (EWISP), which awards cash scholarships to high school juniors
- Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST), which awards cash scholarships to adults looking to further their education at transitional points in their lives
- A philanthropy project to promote literacy in Milwaukee.
EWI of Milwaukee currently consists of 40 member firms. The representatives are made up of executive secretaries, executive assistants, office managers, account executives, managers, presidents, vice presidents and business owners.
Monthly Membership Meetings – First Tuesday of Each Month
- Regular Monthly Meetings are generally held in January, February, June, July, August, October and December.
- The Program Committee selects the meeting site and plans the activities for those evenings. The format varies, but usually there is a speaker on any number of topics: motivational, business management, educational, inspirational, cultural, etc.
- Business Meetings are held in March and September. It is important that all representatives attend these meetings, as this is when all committee reports are given and matters are voted upon.
- EWISP or ASIST Scholarship Banquets are held in May. These banquets honor the winners of our EWISP and ASIST scholarships.
- Students, teachers, family and friends are invited. For EWISP, the first, second and third place winners are announced that night; the ASIST winners are predetermined prior to the event.
- Firm Recognition Night is held in November. This is the night we honor our executives. The Chapter President and her executive each address the group.
- Firm Nights can be held during any regular meeting month and EWI of Milwaukee usually averages two or three each year.
- This night is hosted by a member firm and in most cases, the meeting is held at the location of the firm. Firm Nights are the most effective way for a member firm to “tell its story” to other EWI representatives and executives. Firm Nights are always special . . . each one is different and all are fun!